Christmas can be a difficult time for our clients – whether they’re the individuals living in our supported housing or those we support in the community who are at risk of homelessness.
Some are estranged from their families after becoming victims of abuse or going through a relationship breakdown; others are battling to overcome addiction, debt or mental health problems. Most rely on benefits and are financially unable to buy presents, and food banks might be their only source of sustenance over the festive season.
Our services focus on helping people in need to remain in, or obtain, a safe and stable home and the support Launchpad provides all year round is a lifeline for many. But in December we do our best to make Christmas a time of joy for our clients.
We send a Christmas card and a supermarket food voucher to every individual, couple and family we support so they are able to buy some ingredients to cook a Christmas dinner in their home and celebrate, even if it’s in a small way.
For one week, we also transform a meeting room in our offices into a winter wonderland. Clients are welcomed by staff in festive costumes, Christmas music plays and gifts kindly donated by local businesses are given to the individuals, couples and families we support – so they have something to open over the festive period.
In 2018, 70 people came to our grotto and received some festive cheer. we hope ever more clients pop by to see a friendly face this year.
How can you help?
- £5 can help fund a food voucher so a Launchpad client can buy ingredients to cook Christmas dinner in their home.
- £10 can help buy a single bedding and towel set for a client moving into more stable accommodation over the festive season.
- £20 can help pay for a mobile phone so a client can contact Launchpad for the support they need during a difficult time.
- £50 can help pay for clothes and underwear for a client who only has one outfit because they have been rough sleeping.
- £100 can help buy a television for a client in our supported housing who is spending Christmas alone.
If you would like to make a donation this Christmas to support our work with people who are homeless or at risk of losing their home, it would be gratefully received. You can make a one-off donation or set up more regular giving.
No matter how big or small, your generosity will ensure we can continue supporting vulnerable people – both over the festive season and all year round. Thank you.